Tuesday, January 20, 2004

3.14159265

I am currently reading Yann Martel's "Life of Pi", a fascinating tale rich with insight into the nature of man and beast. The book is about a young indian boy who is stranded on a lifeboat in the middle of the Pacific with a Royal Bengal Tiger, and the lengths he goes to in order to survive his ordeal. I will not ruin the plot further, but so far as I have read I may say that no punches are pulled, no niceties are pulled over the reader's eye to abstract the absolutely raw animal nature of man. At the same time the author exalts the nobility and spirituality of man such that I wish I were more religeous and could experience the kind of theophanistic high the main character Pi undergoes after emerging from the depths of despair and which the author has obviously felt himself.

If you read "Hatchet" in the fourth grade and liked it, read this - it's smarter, better-written, more authentic and more thought-provoking.

Also, I will be in Boston from about 4pm Friday February 27 through 4pm Sunday February 29, so get ready for some drunk Jordi.

You might even say I'm preparing to be Reckless.

No comments: