Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball

Today was a most excellent day. First of all, there is a starbucks on the way to work that I didn't notice before. So I started of my day on time to my 9am meeting, and holding 20 ounces of low-fat hazlenut vitality. Nextly (and that is a perfectly cromulent word, you naysayers) I spent the morning arguing solution design for a problem our team was having with a certain part of the web application we are working on.

For those of you who don't understand how I am motivated, let me explain why that is cool. I am motivated by A) oodles of money and B) a challenge.

For the past several months before my current project started, not only was I not challenged, I was not given permission to be challenged. I was given no input into the solution of the project I was working on. I was simply told what to do in the rare event that the commitees and sub-committees and project managers figured out something that needed doing and for which I was qualified. I spent the rest of the time performing what amounted to glorified data entry, which is about as fun as shaving your scrotum with a rusty razor.

On THIS project I am presented with a problem and asked "How would you solve this?" When I present a theory I am told "Prove it" so I go to my laptop and start coding in a furious haze of logic and structure. I realize this is not exciting to others but it is to me, which is why I became a software engineer in the first place. It's also why my job has been fun for the past few weeks. I can only hope that when this project is finished I will find another similar one to work on.

Also for lunch I had a delicious pepper-smoked salmon and goat cheese sandwich and I am about to have some sweet ambrosia (aka coca cola) so I am sensually as well as mentally satisfied.

Mom is coming Friday and me, her and Casper are headed down to Illinois to hang with the fam down there, and then next weekend is Vegas. For those of you in the know, suddenly the air grew denser, perfumed from an unseen censer swung by seraphim whose footfalls tinkled on the tufted floor! And then I blacked out.

No comments: