Friday, December 05, 2003

Notes on Bilingual Fantasy

First of all, here's your new word of the day: "grok". My mom groks grok, so if you don't, go read Heinlen's Stranger in a Strange Land.

Second, I just thought it would be fun to throw it out there that another reason I'm enjoying FFXI so much is that every day I spend 2-3 hours conversing with japanese players in their native tongue. It's really sharpening my skills. Of course, I don't know how useful it would be to be able to say "Please Raise my friend who was just killed" or "Help! I'm being chased by an Orcish Cursemaker!" in downtown Tokyo, but still. Lots of fun.

Erin emailed me a bunch of questions, so maybe later today I'll crosspost my reply here. If you're good. Jeremy, finish your brussel sprouts. I don't care if the dog licked them, you still have to eat them!

No comments: